- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 Cup chopped celery
- 1 Cup chopped carrots
- 2 Cups chopped onions
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 4 Cups vegetable broth
- 1-1/4 cups lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic.
- Cook until the vegetables are golden brown, 10-15 minutes.
- Add the broth, lentils, and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 40-45 minutes.
- Transfer about one third of the soup to a blender and puree.
- Return the puree to pot and mix everything together.
- Add sea salt to taste! I like it more than usual!
Notes & Tips
Use an immersion blender to puree directly in the pot instead of transferring anything to a blender, works exactly the same way without any mess!
I normally double the recipe and make 12 servings. Recipe as above makes 6 servings.
Pair with lean protein and small spinach salad, or feel free to add 2 cups cubed cooked chicken, beef or my Turkey Sausage to the soup for a complete meal!