- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic (pressed)
- 2 cups turkey sausage
- 3/4 cup low fat mozzarella 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese combined
- 4 large red peppers
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sauté onion, garlic, mushrooms and green pepper until caramelized.
- Mix in turkey sausage and cook until warm. (If you are choosing to add the optional cooked rice, mix that in after your veggies are cooked in a separate bowl, then stuff peppers and top with cheese)
- Cut the tops off the red peppers, take out middle and stand the peppers upright on end.
- Add 1 cup of sausage mixture to each pepper and top with ¼ cup cheese mixture.
- Place peppers on cookie sheet and bake for 35 mins.
If you want to make this batch bigger and add a starch to your meal, try adding 2 cups cooked brown rice and mixing it in with your Turkey Sausage, peppers, onions and mushrooms before you bake!
If you like spice, try adding 1 tsp cumin and 1 tsp. paprika or a pinch of red pepper flakes!