- 1 (12 oz) Bag Frozen Cranberries
- 6 lg Apples (peeled, quartered & thinly sliced)
- ½ C Red Wine (or sugar free cranberry juice, or orange juice)
- 1 C Water
- 1 & 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- 15 Packets (about ¼ C) Calorie Free Sweetener
- ¼ C Toasted Chopped Walnuts
- ¾ C Fat Free Cottage Cheese
- Put thawed cranberries in a large sauce pan on medium heat.
- Add red wine (or juice) and ½ C water.
- Add no calorie sweetener, ½ tsp cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Cook until cranberries are soft and mash with hand masher.
- Add slice apples, ½ C water and rest of cinnamon.
- Cook until apples are soft and mash to a sauce consistency.
- Add cottage cheese and cook until cottage cheese melts.
- Mash again to break up the larger cottage cheese pieces (adding the cottage cheese is optional, the sauce is great without it but with it you achieve a creamier and more mellow flavor.) Better yet, divide the sauce in half, then add half of the cottage cheese and you now have two cranberry sauces that are sure to please everyone around your table.
- Add the toasted walnuts.